How to Stay Motivated to Teach English



Tell me if you've heard this or experienced this scenario before:

A person starts a new job. At first they are so excited and motivated to do the best they can at their new job. This person works hard, puts in the extra effort, doesn't mind working overtime, and is successful at what they do. This goes on for an undetermined amount of time (depending on the person)....And then something happens....routines begin to form, things that were a novelty before aren't so interesting or have even become annoying, motivation decreases and this same person who once loved their job, isn't looking forward to going to work everyday, Monday to Friday from 9 - 5.

Now put your hand up if this has ever happened to you. I'm sure almost everyone who is reading this is now putting their hand up (well at least in their heads their putting their hands up). Work, especially teaching, can be tough sometimes. I've wrote before about teacher burnout, but today I wanted to write about some of the ways that English teachers can stay motivated when they are experiencing this down period.

1. Change Something
I've always believed that routines are a good way to waste a life (well maybe not all routines...but most). If you're feeling like you don't want to teach, change something to disrupt the monotonous routines that are sucking the fun out of teaching. Try a new approach to teaching, take your class outside, introduce topics that interest you, change your schedule, etc. There are so many ways to change what you do everyday. Identify a few things you do on a daily basis, and try something new.

2. Take charge of your motivation level
If you're feeling unmotivated to teach, don't just expect motivation to fall from the sky and land on your lap. Sometimes you gotta fight for yourself. Some great ideas to add a little motivation to your life are: attending pro-d workshops (for people teaching abroad you can do this online as well: https://educationcloset.com/events/), read a motivational book or watch a motivational movie (Dead Poets Society always works for me), talk to colleagues and ask for suggestions, etc.


While I'm on the subject of taking charge, this can also mean taking care of problems or issues that you've been avoiding for far too long. One of the reasons teachers can become unmotivated is due to the problems that their jobs throw at them. And instead of addressing these problems, we sometimes ignore them and hope that they'll go away someday....big mistake. They often don't go away, but instead become bigger problems that wear teachers down. If you want to increase your motivation, you've got to tackle these problems head on. So deal that student behavior problem you've been ignoring, work on that concern your administrator has brought up, or complete that task you've been throwing aside for too long. Trust me it will help.

3.Set Goals
A great way to stay motivated, no matter what you're doing, is to set goals for yourself. These goals can be professional goals related to teaching like improving students' test scores, or they can be personal goals like obtaining new skills or qualifications that will help you with your profession. Either way, goals give you something to work for, which can be directly translated into increased motivation.

4. Enjoy your life outside the class
One of the best ways to increase the motivation to teach, is to make the most of your time away from school. First and foremost, this means unplugging from your job. Teachers have to make a conscious effort to not think (or maybe a better word would be 'worry') about teaching during their free time. Instead time should be spent on doing what you love. Hobbies, spending time with friends and family, and travel are all great examples of things you should be doing on weekends and holidays. Also, somewhat related, making a commitment to your health will really pay off with your teaching. Being healthy, means having more energy, which means you are able to teach to your full capacity leading to greater student success, which is really the ultimate motivator for teachers....think about it.

5. Remind yourself why you are teacher
If all of the previous suggestions fail, you can always fall back on the true reason you became a teacher: To Help Students Succeed. Take time to remind yourself of the impact you have made in past students' lives and the impact you can make in your current students' lives. You have a great responsibility to help shape and mold the next generations. Don't waste this opportunity to make a big difference.

6. One more thing....don't forget to laugh
No matter what you do for a living, don't forget to laugh as much as possible. Although your concerns may seem huge, there's a good chance a lot of them aren't that big of a deal and you need to learn to laugh at some of life's twists and turns. Have fun with your students and encourage them to laugh more as well. I don't know a single person who doesn't feel better after a good laugh..

Hope you found these suggestions helpful. Please feel free to add your suggestions in the comments section at the bottom

https://www.facebook.com/uvictefl


Comments

  1. I am here to give testimony on how this powerful spell caster called Dr. padman helped me to fix my relationship. I was heartbroken when my Lover told me he is no longer interested in marrying me because another lady has used a black magic on him. I cried and sobbed every day, until it got so bad that I reached out to the Internet for help, that was when i read a review about the great work of Dr. padman then contacted him for help to get my love and my life back, he helped me cast a powerful love spell and to my greatest surprise after 24 hours of doing the love spell my lover came back on his knees begging me to forgive him We are now happily married and all thanks goes to Dr. Padman Wonders for helping me save my relationship you can contact Dr padman via Email padmanlovespell@yahoo.com or info@padmanspell.com Website: https://padmanspell.com/index-3.html or WhatsApp
    +19492293867

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for sharing such a great content . hope you will share some more info about self improvement . its very helpful for our work also.


    accredited wellness coach certification uk


    ReplyDelete
  3. BE SMART AND BECOME RICH IN LESS THAN 3DAYS....It all depends on how fast 
    you can be to get the new PROGRAMMED blank ATM card that is capable of
    hacking into any ATM machine,anywhere in the world. I got to know about 
    this BLANK ATM CARD when I was searching for job online about a month 
    ago..It has really changed my life for good and now I can say I'm rich and 
    I can never be poor again. The least money I get in a day with it is about 
    $50,000.(fifty thousand USD) Every now and then I keeping pumping money 
    into my account. Though is illegal,there is no risk of being caught 
    ,because it has been programmed in such a way that it is not traceable,it 
    also has a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTVs to detect 
    you..For details on how to get yours today, email the hackers on : (
    atmmachinehackers1@gmail.com ). Tell your 
    loved once too, and start to live large. That's the simple testimony of how 
    my life changed for good...Love you all ...the email address again is ;
    atmmachinehackers1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good day to the readers of this comment, my motive of writing this testimony is to appreciate the good deeds of the great Illuminati Brotherhood in the life of my family and I and also to lay myself as a bridge to interested new members. Years back before I joined the Illuminati Brotherhood, I fall victim of scams severally on my quest to join the Illuminati Brotherhood, couple with the fact that I'm battling to be financial stable. All thanks to our Lord Grand Master for unconditionally accepting me as a member of the Hood. I pledge my undiluted loyalty to the Brotherhood all the days of my life. Are you going through depression because of your current circumstance or battling with the thought of suicide due to the challenge of life, I'm here because of you to let you know that the Illuminati Brotherhood remains the remedy. The good news about the Illuminati Brotherhood is that after your initiation, all your benefits such as cash sum of $2,000,000 USD will be deposited to you, A ring of protection and also a car of your choice e.t.c just for you start life in abundance. The cost of joining the Illuminati Brotherhood is to remain loyal to your IGF and stick to the rules and regulations that governs the Hood. If you're interested and willing to join the Illuminati Brotherhood just WHATSAPP/CALL/TEXT+1 (667) 666-4167 OR you can drop email at initiationhoodofilluminate@gmail.com, Mind you registration is free to all American citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe that this man is so real, how can I thank you enough, I can't fail to testify about the good things you have been doing for me and now you still went ahead and do same for my friend, please everyone if you have anything disturbing you please your solution is hear with Dr.osupalagba the great spiritualist who can solve any problem in a twinkle of an eye. No matter the problems, whether spiritual problem, you want to get your ex back, promotion in your workplace, spiritual cleansing, fruit of the womb, mental illnesses, protection for gun, protection for cutlass, protection for bottle, protection for snake and scorpion bites and cure. Are you a victim of any of the above listed setbacks, you can contact Dr.osupalagbavia Email: osupalagba.temple@gmail.com


    Call/WhatsApp +2347051667586

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

These Acronyms are Making Me CRAZY: ESL, EFL, EAL, ELL, TEFL, TESL, TESOL, CELTA....

English Only Classrooms: Beneficial or Detrimental to English Language Learners?

Teaching English in Thailand - What you need to know

Teaching Children Vs. Teaching Adults

Teaching English in the Czech Republic

Tips for Teaching Korean Students

Teaching English to Absolute Beginners